Monday, April 18, 2011

On longing and rice snacks.

IMG_0470

I long for the past.

For the simple things. The long days. The excitement of home-time. Playing kiss and catch in the playground. All the adventures that my Barbie dolls would have. Playing dress-ups. Getting home from school in time to watch all my favourite shows. Those were the days. Everything was simple. When you're little, you can't wait to grow up. You think it'll be the best thing in the world to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want and not having parents tell you that you what to do.

Don't get me wrong, being an adult has it's perks. I can stay up as late as I want. Eat whatever I want. Watch whatever I want. But nothing is simple as an adult. People still tell you what to do. And you have to pay all your bills and stress about your assignments and you have to work all the time. I just want everything to be simple again.

Just for one day, I want my mum to tuck me in to bed and read to me. Just like when I was little. I want to feel like I don't have a care in the world and all I have to worry about is what game I'm going to play at lunch time. I want to spend all day reading and playing and colouring outside of the lines.

Eating these rice snacks makes me feel a bit like a kid. They're like the adult version of a
childhood favourite. When I get home from work, I can eat one with my afternoon cup of tea and not have to think about anything. I probably won't watch cartoons, but I can do all the things that my adult-self likes to do: Go on twitter and read a whole lot of blogs. And I can put off all the things I need to do for just that little bit longer.

Rice snacks.
Adapted from Vanilla & Lace

1/4-1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups organic puffed rice (or other rice cereal)

Heat honey and peanut butter over medium heat until it thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. (You could probably do this in the microwave, if you wanted)
Add vanilla.
Pour the honey mix over the puffed rice in a large bowl. It looks as if there isn't enough honey mixture to coat all the rice, but just keep mixing until it's all coated evenly. Press into oiled 20cm square dish.
Refrigerate for 1 hour, then turn out and cut into squares. Keep refrigerated.

2 comments:

  1. Love the look of these! They remind me of the rice krispie cakes that I would always buy at our primary school's bake sales. I honestly don't think I've had one since I was 11! Will definitely be making these at the weekend. Thanks for the recipe and the memory! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't had one since I was a kid, either! You should definitely make them, they'll take you back, promise!
    Thanks for stopping by x

    ReplyDelete