Friday, September 3, 2010

Fish with parsely butter sauce.

Spring finally arrived today. Everything was extra vivid, like someone turned up the brightness/contrast on the colours of the trees and the sky, until they were at their all time brightest. So I think it's time to celebrate this season, with some lovely fish that has some bright colours, too.

In our house, there are certain things that Brent makes me cook, and certain things that I make him cook. He prefers it when I cook hollandaise and poached eggs, and I think he's better at cooking steak and fish.
Last night, though, I cooked the fish. I took it out of the pan, put it on the plates, then decided that it wasn't cooked, and had to heat the pan back up and put the fish back in for another couple of minutes. This wasn't a huge disaster, it just meant that it took a little bit longer to do. But, I mean, it's good practice, right?

When I made this, in my haste to get dinner out, I forgot an ingredient. One whole ingredient! When we finally got to eat, I knew there was something missing, but I couldn't work out what. It wasn't until after, when I was cleaning up, that I noticed the bright little lemon, sitting all alone on the bench, that I remembered what it was that was missing from the sauce. So when you're making the parsley butter sauce, remember to put some lemon in.

Recipe:
Adapted from Tessa Kiros' Apples for Jam
2 fish fillets (We used Ling)
25g butter, divided, one pat much bigger than the other
big handful parsley, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and squished
1 tbsp olive oil
wholemeal flour, for dusting the fish
salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1 lemon

Dust the fish in the wholemeal flour.
Heat a non-stick frypan and put the oil and smaller pat of butter in.
When this is hot, add the fish. Cook until crispy and brown and cooked through (this will depend on the thickness of your fish).
Meanwhile, In another saucepan, put the bigger pat of butter, the parsley, lemon zest and juice and the garlic. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
Allow to melt, but not to brown or (heaven forbid) to burn. Keep on a low heat while the fish is cooking.
When the fish is done, plate up and pour the sauce over.

No comments:

Post a Comment