Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sausage rolls & an Australian tradition.


Ah, the AFL Grand Final day. A great Australian tradition. Meat pies, sausage rolls, drinking beer before 12o'clock. And some footy, thrown in for good measure. I've never really gotten into the footy before, and honestly, I've only watched the grand final once before. I'm not very patriotic, and I don't really know anything about footy. I started watching it because Brent really likes AFL (he's much more patriotic than I am), and I like any good reason to eat pies and drink beer.


I didn't actually make any pies this year, I made mini quiches instead. I only have one problem with mini quiches: they're not really meant for tomato sauce. I'm not going to give you a recipe for the mini quiches, because I'm sure you can work it out. All I did was cut up some bacon, mix 2 eggs with a splash of milk and pour it into the pastry circles, topped with cheese and paprika.
So grab a beer, grab a sausage roll and answer the all important question: Who do you barrack for?
Recipe:
Oven- 180

250g beef mince
250g sausage mince
1 carrot, grated
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp herbs
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 sheets puff pastry, (ready rolled is fine) cut in half.

Fry the onion and the carrot until soft and starting to be translucent.
Put everything, including carrot and onion, into a bowl, and mix together (I like to use my hands here, but you could use a spoon, if you prefer).
Place a suasage shape of mince mix onto the top of one sheet of pastry, roll up and place on tray, sealed side down. Cut up into desired size, I like mine little.
Brush with egg wash.
Bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment