Saturday, October 9, 2010

Savoury scones to make the CWA proud.

scone mess
I don't have very much to say today, but I wish I did. You know those days you have when you've just run out of things to say? Nothing interesting has happened, I've only been doing uni work, finishing up for the year. My last assignment must have drained all the words out of me, and left me devoid of interesting things to say. Luckily uni hasn't drained me of cooking. I can still bake. What a disaster it would be if I couldn't! Imagine spending a whole Saturday and not cooking one thing!

I love the idea of scones, as part of an afternoon tea with jam and cream and patterned china and floral dresses. To be honest, I've only made them a few times and I've never made them savoury before. Brent's sister Kirby makes a good savoury scone, and hell, now I do too.
I adapted this recipe from Stephanie Alexander by adding vintage cheese and chopped bacon.
They were best straight out of the oven with lots of butter and a good song. I've listened to this Adrian Lux song so many times in the last 2 days. I know I'll get sick of it soon, but at the moment, it's still pretty great.

Scones to make CWA proud

Recipe:
Adapted from Stephanie Alexander's 'The cooks companion.'

Oven 220
Makes about 20 smallish scones.

500g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
100g butter
100g vintage cheese, grated
3 rashers of bacon, diced
300mL water .

Put the flour, baking powder and butter into a food processor and blitz until it looks like sand.
Tip into a bowl and add the cheese and bacon.
Add the water and mix (mine was a bit sticky here, but I just put a bit more flour when I was cutting them out).
Tip out onto a floured surface and flatten out to about 3 cm.
Cut the scones out with a round cutter, twisting the cutter down, rather than pressing it. Cut all the scones and when you've got out as many as you can, press the remaining dough back together and start again.
Put the scones onto a lined baking tray. Make sure they're touching, as it makes them rise better (Thanks Masterchef, for teaching me this!).
Bake for 12-15 mins until golden.
If you can wait, put them onto a wire rack to cool. Otherwise just eat them hot straight off the tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment