Friday, April 1, 2011

Cauliflower and Bean Soup.

 It's starting to get cold.

The wind is whipping against my window panes and the heater gets turned on for the first time this year. The cold sneaks in under the door and through the window glass. You need to wear big socks to bed and snuggle right up close to the person you love. And even then, you might still be cold.

I had to dig through my summer shirts to find something warmer to wear. And when it’s still dark when you walk to work, you need lots of scarves and stockings and hats to wear (I don’t start early very often, but I’m setting the scene, go with it). I even had to buy some boots, because cute little flats just won’t cut it in the cold.

Sounds like it’s time to make soup.

I like soup a lot. It’s easy and quick and filling and tasty. I couldn't even make it all the way through this little bowl of soup, it was just so hearty. I like cauliflower too. Brent doesn’t like it though, so I normally make pumpkin or chicken soup. But it’s nice to make different things sometimes.

This soup is soft with cauliflower and creamy with white beans. It’s super fast, too. Just cook the cauliflower in some stock until soft. Add the beans and lots of yummy spices. Blend it all up. You’ll be warm before you even have time to out on another jumper. You might even have to turn off the heater.

Cauliflower and Bean Soup.

You could start this soup by heating 1 chopped onion in some oil and then add the garlic and then the cauliflower, but I didn't have any onions, so I skipped this whole step and just put the cauliflower into the stock and went from there.

1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 can cannellini beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 litre chicken or veggie  stock
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Greek yoghurt or cream or creme fraiche to serve (optional).

Put the cauliflower, garlic and stock into a large pot.
Bring to the boil and then simmer until the cauliflower is really soft. About 15 mins.
Add the beans and give it a stir. Simmer for 5-10 mins longer, until the beans are warmed.
At this point, I added some paprika and lots of pepper and some chilli. Totally optional.
Let cool for a little bit, then blend it all up. (If you have an immersion blender, this would be heaps easier. Otherwise, a standing blender is fine. Just do it in batches.)
Stir in the parmesan.
Gently reheat.
Serve with yoghurt, and extra pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment