Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chocolate & peanut butter sandwich cookies.

IMG_1950

Even though I've got this blog to keep track of the all the recipes I've made, I still hand write them all into a recipe book. Just in case.
I like the idea of having this hard copy of recipes. I like the idea of being able to hand this recipe book down to my children, or children's children. I have this somewhat romantic idea because my dad has a recipe book just like that. An old, hand written, taped-together at the seams recipe book that must have been handed down to him through the generations.

Stuffed into my recipe book are torn-out pages from cooking magazines. I haven't even cooked anything from most of these torn-out pages, but I keep them there for future reference. I don't think this 'future' will  ever come, though, because when I want to cook something I usually look on the net, rather than sifting through these neglected sheets of paper.

IMG_1944

But the other day, I was looking for something specific - a chocolate and peanut butter biscuit that didn't have any eggs in it - and the internet couldn't give me what I wanted. So for once, I rifled through these loose pages and found what I was looking for: Bitter chocolate and espresso sandwich cookies from an old Gourmet Traveller magazine. I changed the espresso filling to a peanut butter filling, but the recipe is basically the same.


I'm gonna go right ahead and say that these biscuits are kinda like peanut butter oreos. The chocolate biscuits are crunchy and not too sweet and almost a little bit salty (because I used salted butter). The peanut butter filling is sticky and peanut-y and delicious.
It's a good combination. When you bite into them, the peanut icing squishes out the sides. I like that.
I didn't bake my chocolate biscuits for long enough, so they were still a bit soft in the middle, but it wasn't a problem. They were still much too easy to eat. In fact, I think I'll have another one right now...


choc peanut butter cookies

Chocolate & peanut butter sandwich cookies:
Adapted from Gourmet Traveller magazine (date unknown).
Makes 12 filled biscuits


85g softened butter
110g caster sugar

100g plain flour
37g cocoa powder
3 tbsp milk (you may not need any or all of this)

Preheat oven to 190C, and line two baking trays.
Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
Stir in the flour and cocoa until combined. If it doesn't quite come together, or looks like breadcrumbs, add a teaspoon of milk at a time until the dough comes together.
Turn the dough out onto a flour board and knead until smooth.
Roll the dough out until 2-3 mm thick, and cut out with a round cookie cutter. 
Place the dough circles onto the lined trays. 


Repeat this process with the dough scraps. 

Prick the dough circles with a fork, and crimp the edges.
Bake for 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on trays for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.

Peanut butter filling:
200g icing sugar
6-7 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt

Beat all ingredients until smooth. Taste and add more peanut butter/salt until you reach the right consistency and taste.
Ice on biscuit and sandwich together with an un-iced biscuit. Repeat until all biscuits are sandwiched together

4 comments:

  1. These pretty little sandwich cookies are such a treat! Peanut butter and chocolate is always a winning combo. I love the idea of a hand written recipe book passed down from generation to generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Faith! I love peanut butter and chocolate together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies really look delicious, a little bit like OREO. I almost want to make them today cause I have an appetite for something sweet. Hugs from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Miss Maple! You definitely should try them x

    ReplyDelete