Wednesday, June 20, 2012

On excitement and kale chips.

I get excited by the small things. The small wins in life that make day-to-day living enjoyable. Finding the perfect pair of two-tone heels in a vintage shop, discovering a new musician and finding out that you love them and wondering why you hadn't been listening to them forever, working out how to use your new phone,   making kale chips for the first time.


I'd never seen kale in the grocery shop before, let alone cooked with it. But I kept seeing recipes with kale on some of my favourite blogs, and I desperately wanted to try it. Then one day I saw some Kale in my local deli. It was like a sign from some higher being, telling me that I should finally try Kale.

"Kale chips" it said, beckoning me towards the checkout, "Make some kale chips!" And I did. And it was good.

These kale chips are crispy, salty, crunchy, healthy, delightful. They're easy and satisfying, and make you feel like you are doing something good for yourself. Making kale chips is a small win in a week full of sameness.
And they only taste a little bit like lettuce!

Kale Chips recipe:
From Joy the Baker

1 bunch of kale
1 tbsp olive oil
Seasoning (salt and pepper; cayenne pepper; paprika; whatever takes your fancy!)

Preheat the oven to 135C.
Wash and thoroughly dry the kale. Cut out the stalky middle bit, as this gets hard during cooking. Cut the kale up into smaller bits if you like (but not too small, as it shrinks a bit while cooking).
Toss the Kale with the seasoning and olive oil.
Arrange on 2 baking trays, aiming for single layers.
Bake for 15 mins. Remove the trays, turn the kale, and bake for another 15 mins.
After the 30 mins, turn the oven off but leave the kale in the cooling oven for another 30 mins, to dry out and crisp up.
Store in an airtight container. Joy the Baker says that kale chips will last for several days, but I ate all of mine in less than 2 days, so I can't guarantee this claim!


~I'm loving Fiona Apple at the moment. I've really been getting into my 90's singer-song writers recently, but this is my favourite song. Bliss. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment