Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beef stroganoff

strog

When it rains all day and the wind howling under the door sounds like this, all I want to do is eat creamy things for dinner. Am I the only one that feels like this?

I couldn't get a very good photo because I just wanted to eat my dinner already, but it's basically diced steak cooked with cream, tomato paste, mustard and mushrooms. I used a porterhouse steak chopped up, because that was what I had, but you could probably use already chopped beef, or some other kind of steak.

I don't know why I chose to make this dish, really. It's not something that I would normally make. I don't know why though, because it was really quick and tastes really good.
I think you should make it and then watch multiple episodes of Jeeves and Wooster.

Beef Stroganoff.
Serves 2-3
Recipe adapted from taste

1 tbsp plain flour
400g porterhouse steak, trimmed and diced (about 2 medium steaks)
20g butter
1 brown onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsps dijon mustard
1/4 cup sour cream

Dust steak with flour and season with salt and pepper.
Heat some olive oil in a large fry pan and brown the steak in 2 batches. Set aside.
In the same pan, fry the onions and mushrooms in butter. Cook until soft.
Add garlic and paprika, cook for a minute.
Add the wine, stock, tomato paste and mustard. Bring to the boil and the reduce heat.
Add the beef and any juices and heat through. I like my steak still pink in the middle, so I didn't cook for that long, but if you're more of a well done kind of person, cook for a bit longer.
Stir through the cream, bring to a simmer and serve immediately.
Serve with pasta or rice or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment