Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chocolate brownie cookies.

brownie cookies

It's no secret that I love brownies. I'd like to say that this obsession started when I was a little girl, but when I was little, I didn't like chocolate.
 I don't remember when I decided that brownies were my favourite chocolate thing, but they are. Brent loves them, too (we're so compatible!). There are not many things that he requests that I make. But brownies are one of them.

Unfortunately for him, he works all day and I'm on holidays. At home. On the couch. Watching Buffy and reading lots and lots of books. So he didn't get to eat many of these delicious, chewy cookies.

brownie cookies

These cookies are exactly like a brownie. I'd even go so far as saying that I like them better. They're my new favourite thing. They're chewy and soft in the middle and crispy and cracked on the top and around the edge. I actually thought they were a bit sweet though. Weird. A half cup is the proper amount of sugar to use, but if you, like me, prefer your cookies a bit less sweet, you can reduce the sugar.

I knew even before I made them that they would be great. So I only made half a batch - the amount that I've given you. But if you think that you have more self control around delicious, chewy, chocolatey things than I do, go ahead and make a whole batch.

I dare you.

brownie cookies

Brownie Cookies.
Adapted from Joy The Baker
Makes about 12 cookies.

120g dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
optional: 2 rows dark chocolate chopped small, or 1/2 cup choc chips

Melt the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl set over simmering water.
In a large bowl, beat the sugar and egg with a spoon until frothy.
Pour in the chocolate, and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Fold in the chopped chocolate, if using.
Stick the bowl in the freezer for 10 mins (in the meantime, you can wash the dishes. You probably should do this before the cookies are done and you sit down to eat them all).
Preheat oven to 170C and line 2 baking trays.
Take the bowl out of the freezer and scoop tbsp sized balls onto the trays. Don't put the cookies too close together, they'll spread as they cook. Leave the dough in little balls, don't press it down.
Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes, until cracked on the top and set in the middle. You want the cookies to be quite soft still, like a brownie.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly before putting into your mouth.

2 comments:

  1. my batch is in the oven right now!! :) yum! thanks for the recipe -- the halved version is perfect for a weekday treat!

    ReplyDelete