Friday, August 20, 2010

Start your day right. Vanilla and almond museli.

Breakfast is my most favourite meal of the whole day. I usually eat breakfast by myself, because Brent goes to work super early in the morning, but this means that I can eat whatever I want! I could have eggs, or toast, or porridge or cake, if I felt like it. Or all of these together. Wowser!

I like eating oats. A lot. They make me feel homely and wholesome and ready for the day. Especially if I eat them in museli rather than in anzac biscuits or oat and raisin biscuits, which has been known to happen on occasion.

When I was little, Mum would make us breakfast all day on special Sunday's. We'd have cereal for breakfast, pancakes for lunch and eggs for dinner. I never do this anymore. I like to have a roast on Sunday's, and that's not really a breakfast meal at all. I never really eat pancakes either, I prefer to have savoury things for breakfast. This museli is an exception to that rule though.

You totally don't need a recipe for this. Just use what you think tastes good.
I used cranberries and sultanas and almonds because I like them. I used vanilla and mixed spice because I like them, too, and they taste good.
Obviously it's not peach season at all because it's the middle of winter, but I used canned peaches (no added sugar!) because I like to eat peaches all year round. We didn't have any milk or yoghurt this morning, so I used the juice from the can of peaches. It was excellent. I didn't miss the milky goodness at all!

Recipe:
Serves one
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup each of dried cranberries and sultanas
couple of almonds
between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp mixed spice
peaches, or whatever fruit you like.

Mix everything together (except peaches) and top with fruit.
Relax into your day.




No comments:

Post a Comment