Friday, August 27, 2010

Es! is for soup

I can't think of a better way to spend winter, than by making soup. It's just so warming and easy and healthy. And, goodness, it's cheap too! (Did you say $3 for that whole pumpkin?)
I'm no fan of tomato soup, and potato and leek just doesn't seem that great, but pumpkin soup has got it all going on. It's colourful and healthy and, well, thats all I need, really.

I made this soup with some frozen chicken stock that I made ages ago. Stock seems so easy to make, but it was the first time I made it, and I didn't really have the hang of it, so the stock didn't really taste like that much. I ended up having to put a stock cube in the soup as well, to make it extra tasty. If you've got a good stock recipe, please share!
I'm sure you don't need a recipe for pumpkin soup, it's just so simple! But here's one anyway... I haven't used much liquid because I like my soup thick, but add more if you like.

p.s. this has nothing to do with soup, but my sister is just so talented, I thought I'd share a photo with you of her amazing installation. [click here]

Butternut Pumpkin Soup:
1kg butternut pumpkin, seeded, peeled and chopped
2 cups of chicken stock + more water, if you prefer your soup thinner
1 onion, diced
olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
cream, for swirling

Heat a big saucepan and fry the onion in some oil until translucent.
Add the pumpkin, stock and spices, bring to the boil.
Cook until pumpkin is soft.
Transfer to a blender and blend it, baby!
Pour a little swirl of cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment