Monday, August 16, 2010

Papa's Salad Dressing.

I love a good salad and it seems to run in the family. My Grandpa always made this salad dressing. It's the perfect amount of tangy and sweet and you could totally change the ratio's if you like less tangy or less sweet. This is how I like it though. And I tend to have the addition of anchovies in mine, because that's what I'm into - salty fish. I hear that some people don't like anchovies. Maybe I'm in the minority. Who knows.
This dressing really could go on any type of salad. But Stephanie Alexander, kitchen queen, reckons that different types of lettuce and extras need different types of dressing to compliment their bitter/crispy qualities. Oh well, I don't like bitter greens anyway!

Papa never used balsamic vinegar in his dressing, because he thought it made the lettuce look discoloured. I like to use balsamic vinegar, because I like to be able to see my salad dressing. If you're like Papa, use white vinegar instead.

Recipe:
Makes a bit more than half a cup
a tsp of dijon mustard
a tsp brown sugar
3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper

Shake! Let stand for a bit before using.

Here's a song to get you in the shakin' mood...

No comments:

Post a Comment